These very special chickpeas are unique to Timeless and are an extremely versatile product with a delicate aroma and subtle flavor profile.
And did we say nutritious? Oh my! Our latest nutrition testing gave us these results: low fat, no cholesterol, high fiber, extremely low sodium and low natural sugar, and - a real protein punch, with an added kick of iron and potassium. An ideal plant-forward protein for any meal.
When you buy our beautiful Black Butte Chickpeas®, you will occasionally find what looks like a white seed. Look closely, that’s actually a chickpea that has cracked open; the inside is creamy white.
Cooking Instructions for Presoaked Black Butte Chickpeas®
1. Soak Black Butte Chickpeas® in water overnight or for 8-10 hours. Use a ratio of 1 C chickpeas to 4 C of water. Drain and discard soaking water.
2. Bring 6 C of water to a rolling boil in a large pot.
3. Add the soaked chickpeas to the boiling water.
4. Reduce the heat and bring the water back to a slow simmer - there will be bubbles, but not covering the surface of the water, and certainly not a rolling boil.
5. Slow simmer the Black Butte Chickpeas® for 35 minutes.
6. To see if they are done, pinch one or two of the chickpeas between your thumb and forefinger and mash it. It is soft enough to squash it when it is ready. Check several just to be sure.
7. Drain and cool. Your Black Butte Chickpeas® are ready to use for hummus or to dry roast and spice them for snacks.
Cooking Instructions for Black Butte Chickpeas® That Have Not Been Presoaked
If you don't want to presoak your chickpeas, skip to Step 2 above. Extend your cooking time to 1 1/2 to 2 hours minutes. Check if they are done after 90 minutes.
Cooking Instructions for Black Butte Chickpeas® in a Countertop Pressure Cooker
To cook Black Butte Chickpeas in an Instant Pot or other brand of countertop pressure cooker, you don't need to presoak them.
1. Add 1 C chickpeas to 4 C water.
2. Seal the pressure cooker.
3. Set the pressure level to "high" and set the time to 50 minutes.
4. When the pressure cooker signals the end of cooking, let the pressure drop naturally.
5. To see if they are done, pinch one or two of the chickpeas between your thumb and forefinger and mash it. It is soft enough to squash it when it is ready. Check several just to be sure.
6. Drain and cool. Your Black Butte Chickpeas® are ready to use for hummus or to dry roast and spice them for snacks.
Available in 14-ounce packages, 10-pound bags and 25-pound bags.
Black Butte Chickpeas® is a trademark of Timeless Seeds, Inc.
Read the Black Butte Chickpeas nutrition label here.